Monday, December 10, 2007

I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, it's a celebration.... NOT REALLY

Just last week I over heard a conversation at the restaurant I was at between a group of women. I wasn’t eavesdropping but as you all know with groups there is always going to be a loud one or two. Well, this particular day the loud one started telling a story about a concert she had recently seen by, My Chemical Romance. First off, I think this band totally sucks in so many different ways, but as in every thing such as this, it’s a matter of taste. The fact someone went to their concert wasn’t the reason I was writing this blog, and the fact that she stated she was 32 isn't the reason either. Ok, I know people who are 32 could like My Chemical Romance, because Nickelback is still floating around because some people have no taste but that’s still not why I’m writing this blog. She said at first she was “kinda feeling uncomfortable because she felt like the oldest person there," but in fact wasn’t. She saw others her age, although those people her age were with their kids. That says something right there and it made me wonder are there some bands that certain people shouldn’t go see because of age, and that my friends is why I’m writing the blog.
If I take my age (33) and think “is it alright for me to like Avril Lavigne”, well sure I can like her music because anyone can.

*URGENT DISCLAIMER* I do not like Avril Lavigne’s music and find it hard not to run my head into a wall if I’m trapped in a place that’s playing it, and in the aforementioned sentence I only say I like her music for demonstration purposes only…. You may now resume your blog reading**

Could you go and buy her music at a store or online?... Of course
Could you go and buy a ticket to her concert if she came to a town near you?... Sure why not
This all being said would you stick out like a sore thumb? YES… The crowd at her show would be at least 10 years younger than you (if you were my age), and if you went and if by chance there were some there your age (in the few that you’d number), then they would be with A. their kids being a chaperon and hating life, or B. have a really shitty taste in music in my opinion. There is no argument that people have a right to go and enjoy music of any varieties… hell some people like Bright Eyes, but they dwell in a fantasy land and speak Esperanto.
The thing is… would they stick out, and yes they would. It is almost like saying enjoy the music but only go to age appropriate concerts. Sure, that is really subjective to everyone about what concerts should certain aged people show up at. See, a kid of 12 to 15 at an Oldies concert and folks think “aw they like the classics”. Have someone as old as me show to see Hannah Montana and people think “holy shit, it’s a pedophile.” As long as you keep your dick in your pants and don’t try to touch kids then you have every right to be at the Hannah Montana show. You start dancing and holding your hands in the air singing the lyrics word for word, then you no longer are a fan but just someone seriously sad who didn’t get the memo that at certain times it’s just for the young to act foolish.
Did the woman who was 32 make a mistake going to the My Chemical Romance concert? Yes, and not because of age but she did and for the reason I will state now. She said to her friends that she didn’t care she was one of the oldest at the show (which is good), but she said she showed those kids how to rock out (which was so very wrong). People it seems sometimes have a tendency in stressful or awkward situations to make themselves even more the obvious stand-out. Hell, if people were going to watch you because you’re older thinking you're out of place, then you are really going to act the ass and stand out if you “SHOW them” how to rock out (old school style rock out I’m sure). This shows you that once you feel uncomfortable at a concert or live gig that you really should think twice about going to another one. Kind of like those commercials that they were showing about people discovering music and going into places they had no business being in and getting in trouble for it. I’ll never forget the one commercial I saw that had the lil Asian guy walking into a leather S&M bar, because he really liked the techno house music he heard from the street. It later shows him strapped turning on a Wheel of Pain, with a mistress warming up a Cat-o-Nine-tails to punish him for trespassing as he screamed behind a ball gag. The commercial went on to say there are easier ways to experience new music. Well, they are right there are better ways to experience music than going to places that could be a little dicey.
So, with all this being said, just make sure you are doing the right thing when you go for certain music and decide to see that music in its natural habitat or go to a concert. For instance Mastodon ain’t gonna be featured in Tiger Beat Magazine but Panic! At the Disco would. So, if you’re a 33 year old tattooed metal head from the early 90’s, which show do you think would be the best choice to go see and which one do you think you should experience in the comfort of your own home or vehicle??? Some of you might not know the answer to that, but let me leave you with this picture below to help you figure it out, and chose wisely people.
(Notice the majority of Panic! At the Disco fans, and then Mr. Free Baller keepin it real with a bit of sack trying to escape, and think who belongs there and who doesn't. Sure they all have a right to be there but just because you have the right don't mean you should exercise it.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa.....

Notice there were no females at the PATD! show. They knew better. The gals that hang with guys that wear athletic gear to shows were probably all at the K.T.Tunstall concert. Which brings me to the ubercelebrator in the photo....Suddenly I See......