Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Chevelle "Vena Sera"

Ok, roll down the windows and crank up the volume on your car stereo, because the world around the road your traveling needs to hear this one. I’m talking about the newest offering from Chevelle, that was released in April of 2007. Now, you might think I’m behind the curve on reviewing this album, but as I’ve told others I don’t give an opinion before I listen to an album. Comments on a band’s new album on the listen of two or three industry released single before it’s released to the public, or reviewing an album via word of mouth or from a few snippets you’ve heard from the radio isn’t my style.
I’m not some industry insider or any bullshit like that, but I am a fan of good music in whatever form it takes. I don’t get albums ahead of release dates unless I hear from one of my pirate friends, and so I review them once I get them and give them a complete listen or three. Chevelle isn’t a new band to me because I already own three of their past offerings which if I’m not mistaken is all they have to offer except for a live album, but I’m a fan of very few (like one or two) live albums. Saying I own any band's album is big, and owning more than three means they must be doing something right. This brings me to Chevelle’s newest album called “Vena Sera”. Oh, and just because I own a band’s catalog of albums to date doesn’t mean they get a free pass from me and I just automatically pick up their newest offering. I give each album from any band a fair listen and if an album sucks no matter if I own ten of their previous works it matters not, and rip or rave depending on what I get.
Ok, first track is a keeper, “Antisaint” is just damn good rock. The vocals are tight and aren’t over powered by the instruments and the vocals mix well with the instruments level. You got to admit once you hear this first track that the trio from Chicago have gotten to a point few bands get too, and that’s the point where they are mastering if not mastered their craft and their own sound. The lyrics while not profound are not nonsensical and meaningless either, but just good head rocking rock. Seriously music can be serious with social commentary or life commentary and it can be loose and almost goofy. The shades of gray between that black and white ends of the spectrum are where music and bands that make it find themselves. Chevelle does a good brand of rock which one can really enjoy without being preachy or too tragic which is what some bands fall into (hello preachy System of a Down and tragic Staid). “Saferwaters” track three on the album is a good tempo change from the first two tracks which rock with more cock out than this song which gives you a breather. Then you’re smacked in the face to harsh your mellow with a great rock scream announcing track four “Well Enough Alone,” which is simple in the meaning of just leaving well enough alone but tinged with the frustration of when that well enough isn’t left alone. This track is really musically densely crafted as well with different musical elements thrown in the mix that really seem to work for me. “Humanoid” track seven starts off like a throw back to a chunky Sabbath style opening, and comes around to one of the band’s major influences which is a little band called Tool and then morphs into the Chevelle style of music. The album’s second to last track called “I Get It”, shows how the band really does get it. It’s just a great track that doesn’t sound like the paint by numbers groups that are out there now (like Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, or YellowCard). The sound is refreshing and truly Chevelle’s sound.
See, there’s a huge thing I’ve found on Chevelle’s fourth album “Vena Sera”, and that is the Chevelle sound. So many have knocked this band as being a cheaper version of Tool and you’d have to be deaf not to hear the heavy influence Tool has on Chevelle’s sound, but isn’t that what great bands are supposed to do? The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, and Nirvana all influenced bands out there doing their own thing. So, why shouldn’t bands like Tool and its contemporaries of the same caliber have their influence not being seen in newer era bands? I personally believe it’s my generations want to remain young and not realize we are getting older and the bands we discovered in high school are now inspiring and influencing this generations bands that are out now. Sure Tool is still out there rocking the house to the ground and giving experiences in sound (cause you can’t just call a Tool show a concert anymore, cause that would be saying a meeting with the Pope is just some Priest saying hello). It doesn’t mean that someone else can’t hear that sound and say I hear myself in that style as well and I think I can add to that style with my own brand or take. Sure some bands stray to close to their influences and get pigeon holed as copy cats and easily forgotten because who among us has paid any attention to Earshot which was supposedly another one of the Tool-sound-alike bands. If any of you have heard anything they’ve done recently (if they still are a band) or remember a song they did sing then let me know because I don’t. No, Chevelle does sound like a band cut in the style of their influence which is Tool, but they definitely have a sound all their own that you can pick up on and that is a mark of a great band. In my opinion while not on the same caliber as Smashing Pumpkins, Chevelle can now be counted as part of the great bands that have come out of the Chicago area.
So, go out and buy the album “Vena Sera” if you are a Chevelle fan, and even if you aren’t give this album a full listen and not depend on industry A&R released singles to make up your mind on a band. Chevelle has done what I call a mid-career album which solidifies their sound with a strong album of Chevelle music that doesn’t let you down by giving the listener numerous tracks to listen and like. Chevelle’s next album should be huge in sound, song, and scope because they’ve defined themselves and now it’s time for them to expand upon what they are as a band while remaining true to their honed identity. If someone tells you Chevelle ain’t shit but a Tool rip off band then they are just trying to sound cool, because with that logic you could say Nirvana was a Sex Pistols rip off and should have been ignored. Beware people who make sweeping statements about bands being rip offs without having something to qualify a statement like that, because those are the type that might have a Panic! At the Disco album or think Creed really rocked. Do yourself a favor people if you like rock that is just plain good check out Chevelle’s new album “Vena Sera”, because “I Get It,” as their song would say and what I get is that they are some quality listening.
LINKS FOR CHEVELLE
Chevelle's spot on the all knowing and growing swamp called myspace.
Chevelle's very own web page.
** I will not be providing links to ways and places to illegally download a band's music because if you are a smart cookie you already know a place or person(like the Untan one)to get music, but I will provide links to places where you can give a band a really good listen. Then you can go buy the album or not but at least you're informed.**
Below are a sample of a few of the tracks from Chevelle's new album "Vena Sera". Enjoy the listen while these links work.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This review has inspired me to start writing good music. Thank you!